Re: side mirrors - bolt 'em! (was: side mirror s - screw 'em?)

In AD8-0346 James Cook asks about mounting methods (sheet-metal screws versus
nutted bolts) for the "lovely pair of round, chrome side mirrors for my '71
GTV" he was given for Christmas. I assume he means the elegant original style,
with the diminutive Alfa logo on the nose of the shallow asymmetrical conical
housing. I would avoid the sheet-metal screws. The originals had captive nuts,
which are a great convenience; I would try to maintain the effect, though not
necessarily the hidden form, of the captivity by bonding (with epoxy or with a
neoprene based construction adhesive) an appropriately tapped plate on the
inside of the door. That way the integrity of the paint film, and consequent
corrosion protection, can be recreated and maintained both in the original
fitting and in later removals and refittings. Perhaps needlessly fussy; Alfa
used sheet-metal screws throughout the interior, and in a few unfortunate
places on the exterior, but a decent '71 (or earlier) deserves to be pampered
a little and preserved for posterity if practical. In my opinion, anyhow.

Cheers

John H.