Re: 3 cyl. engines, 6 cyl. configurations

Sorry if this appears twice, but my previous postings seem to have been lost (I suspect I was dropped for having my mailbox being full and bouncing back the digests):

Here is a good primer on various engine configurations:

http://www.ukcar.com/sframe.htm?/features/tech/

Go to "engines" and scroll to the bottom of the page.

The only engine configurations commonly used in automotive applications that are inherently perfectly balanced are the inline 6, the flat 6 and the V-12.

Historically, I think Alfa could have made a good RWD/front mounted flat 6 combination.

I loved the flat four in the Sud derivatives which was distinguished from its Subaru, Lancia and VW/Porsche counterparts by its one-piece central block.

I have owned two in its sweet 1.5 L dual Dellorto version. The advantages of a flat engine (no counterweights or balancing rods, short crankshaft, low center of gravity, aerodynamic hood line) could be used favorably in a RWD application as well.

Unfortunately, the boxers were phased out with the Fiat takeover, and if GM's Epsilon platform is to be used, the reintroduction of bowers is unlikely, although GM is remotely associate with boxer technology through its 20% ownership of Subaru.

To Ron Ewing who is considering a 3 cyl for his kit car project because "a 4 cyl is too large", did you consider a flat 4?

Cheers,
Sonny 1991 164 S Baltimore