72 vs. 74 differences

To Scott's question I'm a responder,
And others have more facts to ponder,
But the steering wheels' wood,
While both looking good,
In seventy-two certainly was blonder.

If the Institute of Haphazard Observation serves, earlier steering wheels
are much lighter in color, sufficiently so that I couldn't stand the
difference when I installed the IAP wooden shift knob with the Alfa emblem
on top.  So:

Portland Alfa guru Nasko gave me a mahogany knob that a customer's German
Shepard had chewed, along with the rest of the leather interior in that car.

Joe Kollmann refinished it with great taste and craftsmanship sunk a large
cloisonne (sic?) emblem in the top and carved a thumb groove in exactly the
right place.  Might be the best Alfa shift knob in the world.

In any case, the '74 steering wheels are a lot darker color.  I don't know
if they are different wood, or just different stain.

Joe