Changing headlight bulb on '94 164Q?!?!?!

OK. I admit it. After much frustration, I have to come right out and say
it. I can't seem to change the light bulb on the headlight of my '94
164Q.

While understanding the humor of this situation, I am still left with
the facts. The bulb is mounted on a holder that twists into the mount.
This holder is EXTREMELY difficult to reach... the bulb is out on the
driver's side, and I am finding that there is a small cover that
protects an electrical component. I don't know what this is, but it is
in the way. If I could remove it, I think it would be very easy to
change the bulb - can anyone tell me what this thing is?

Anyone have any tips on changing a light bulb in a '94 164Q??? :-(

-Glenn

p.s. how many Alfisti does it take to change a light bulb?