Bernhard Schalbetter

Dear Friends,

On Christmas Eve our fraternity lost a very fine man indeed. It is with
great sadness that I have to tell you of the death of Bernhard
Schalbetter following a long and arduous fight with cancer. He was 71.

Bernhard's dedication to fellow enthusiasts went far beyond the Montreal
Register Europa. He worked tirelessly through personal contact and
numerous Montreal meetings to bring pleasure to Alfisti from many
countries and was always ready to help anyone in need of advice or
assistance. He was a person of optimistic spirit, full of courage,
enthusiasm, philosophy and good humour.

But Bernhard was a quiet-spoken man of great modesty. He put his
considerable experience and knowledge at the service of others without
reserve and he will be sadly missed by everyone who had the good fortune
to know him personally.

On the voyage of life it can happen that we share part of the route with
a fellow traveller who broadens our horizons, shares our joys and pain,
lightens our burdens and enriches our experiences. Bernhard was such a
man and he will never be forgotten by those who knew him.

Our hearts go out to his wife Delia, to his two sons and their families.

Bruce

Geneva, Christmas Day, 2001.