electrical tricks

In a message dated 12/17/2001 12:35:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Dear all who helped me to figure out what was wrong
> with my GTV 6 headlight.  It wasn't the low beam
> filament, it was the fuse!!!  After 4 hours of looking
> at wires and smoking cigarettes, I decided to check
> the fuse box.  Now the headlight works, but the left,
> front parking light doesn't.  Argh!  I checked the
> bulb, and the filament for the parking light appears
> to be fine.   The turn signal in the same bulb works.
> Tonight, I'll swap bulbs to make sure it's not the
> bulb.  Any suggestions?

This may (possibly) not apply to the latest models with the new-type fuses,
but on the older cars with the glass lozenge fuses I have found it is a good
procedure to open up the fuse box and rotate all the fuses 360 degrees about
every six months, to help polish off the tarnish or corrosion that seems to
accumulate on the fuse holders.  It's an easy and fast precaution and since I
have been doing this (lo these many years) I haven't had a fuse-related
problem... compared to prior to figuring this out I would have something wink
out every 10 or 12 months that was traced back to the fuse not making a good
enough contact to power the circuit.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA