Fiddling

Alan Lambert, Glenn Wasserman, and Keith Savage, bless them all, picked
up on the statement by Biba that Richard Welty sent out a SOS recently
and to the best of my knowledge everyone but myself happily ignored it.
Please tell me I've missed something, but unfortunately, feel I
haven't., leading up to a suggestion that the Welty Digest Fund needed
and deserved revival and replenishment.

Two separate issues: the Welty Digest Fund support should be a hardy
perennial, assuring that the incidental costs of maintaining the digest
are not a drag on the Welty family finances (and I will gladly contribute
as I have in the past), BUT the SOS was not a tin-cup plea; what RW wrote
was i'm looking for consulting work in my areas of speciality (Unix,
Linux, internet servers, network engineering, vpns, firewalls, security,
software development, database development)

 I will gladly contribute, and I am sure that others who have in the past
will too, and many others should, AND if I needed the services of a
consultant in those areas of computing specialties I would check his
resume and hire Welty if possible, but they are two separate issues and
it is not quite fair to assume that everyone ignored the consulting work
solicitation. If Biba needs a consultant to advise on a firewall for his
current restoration project, the offer by Richard Welty (will travel on
a T&M basis) deserves consideration. As does a revival of the digest
support fund.

 Cordially,

John H.