Re: Solex carbs

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, John Hertzman wrote:
>  And now a nomenclature question for Leo, Luca, and anyone else who wants
> to chime in: many Americans and perhaps some others spell that other carb
> DellOrto or dellOrto with an apostrophe, sometimes insisting that that
> is more correct in the language, while all Alfa references I have seen
> spell it Dellorto, with a small o and no apostrophe. It parallels the de
> Dion, De Dion, DeDion question. While I am content to use Alfas spelling
> I am mildly curious about the actual spelling of the name of the company
> that makes them.

Once upon a time, the logo for Del'Orto/Dellorto was roughly:

  dellorto

With the second 'L' elevated above the line and shadowed, so that it could
be interpreted as an apostrophe, or just a second L.  I think this, and
the use of all lowercase letters, was a clever typographical way of
ducking the issue. :-)

james montebello
(who shook his fist at these carbs on italian bikes, but never cars)