problem with headlamp, GTV6

In a message dated 12/10/2001 9:19:33 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I suggest you remove the offending lamp. By doing so you can check the
> wiring. If you
> find all the wiring is secure check the lamp filament. If you can't tell if
> it's good
> or bad, switch it out with the working headlamp and test it. If the lamp
> works in the
> other side start checkin' all the wiring to that lamp.

Someone was having a problem with the low beam on a GTV6.  I'd have to agree
with what seems to be shaping up as the conventional wisdom: you've probably
burned out a filament (1 of 2).

Bernie suggests taking the lamp out to inspect it.  That's about half right.

Take out the lamp and discard it, whether there's a problem or not.  A new
sealed beam for a GTV6 costs about $US9, or about the same as a nice glass of
wine in a restaurant or two martinis.  Compared to the effort it will take to
remove it, it would be nuts to put the same old lamp back no matte what you
find out!  Whatever the culprit, that lamp has probably been in there since
the car was new, or at any rate you've gotten your 9 bucks worth of light out
of it.  Even if it isn't a filament, by the time you take it out, put it
back, etc. it will be ready to go anyhow, if only just for spite.  The
reflector is probably not very reflective anymore anyhow so be a big shot and
skip the next movie or glass of wine and put in a new headlight.  If that
doesn't fix your problem (my unscientific guess is replacing an old lamp has
a 90%+++ chance of success even if the trouble isn't in the lamp itself but
in the local connections) you will at least have a fresh lamp there when you
find out where the short or croaked relay is, and you will have narrowed down
the problem.

Believe me, Bernie, for this you don't even have to be a mechanic; even I
have done it (several times) and lived to tell the tale, and success is
almost guaranteed unless you loose the screws.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA