Re: GTV 6 Headlights, left bulb out

  From: John De Trana <jdetrana@domain.elided>
  Subject: GTV 6 Headlights

I have a 1985 GTV 6, and when I turn the low beams on, only the right
headlight lights up, but when I turn the high beams on, all 4 light up.
Any suggestions? I recently replaced the steering column stalks. Could
it be a relay or maybe the wiring is loose from when I changed the
column stalks? Please advise!

John,

If I follow your description correctly, only the right low beam will
light on low beam. Left low beam stays off. All four bulbs light on high
beam. (If I messed this up, stop reading now as everything else will be
wrong.)

Either:

A. The left low beam filament is burned out, (but the hi beam filament
in this same bulb is still good). Just replace your left low beam bulb.
It is the high beam filament within the low beam bulb that you are
seeing on high beam.

   OR

B. You have a poor connection at the left low beam socket. Remove the
left bulb. Focus your inspection on the green wire connection. Could be
corrosion on the bulb contact, or broken wire connection, or loose
terminal inside the connector. Also check for 12 volts between the green
wire and the black wire. The green should be hot when low beam is on.
Using a voltmeter, put your ground on the black wire connector for
ground check. If you do not see a good voltage, then move the meter
ground probe to a better ground and check again. If there is no voltage,
then the green wire has a bad connection to the main green wire coming
forward from the dimmer switch.

Details of 4 bulb headlight circuit:

The headlight switch provides +12v power to the dimmer switch. Dimmer
switch passes this power to either the green wire or grey wire. The
Green and Grey wires go to the vehicle front where they split into a
left and right set. Grey wire goes to all four bulb for their hi beam.
Green wires go only to the two outside bulbs, for their low beam.

Low beam bulb has both hi and low beam filaments. This socket has three
wires. Green is +12 for low beam. Grey is +12 volt for hi beam. Black is
the common ground for both filaments. Going from hi beam to low beam
switches between these two filaments within this same bulb. Hi beam has
only one filament. Same wire colors. Grey for hi beam +12v, and Black
for ground.

 Paul Albertson
 Aloha Oregon USA
 1979 Sprint Veloce