Need help with Milano rear wheel bearing replacement

I'm in the process of replacing the left rear wheel bearing in my Milano
Plat.
Latest problem is that the bearing I took out doesn't look exactly like the
one
I'm supposed to install. Both are "double" bearings in that each contains
two races
and they are the same diameter and length, but the old bearing has exposed
balls and
cage on one side and a sealed race on the other. The new bearing has two
sealed races.
The new bearing has a split in the inner collar, so I suppose it could be
removed  to expose
the balls to make it look like the old bearing. Is this what I'm supposed to
do? If so, how
should I go about disassembly to not damage the balls and cage?

Both Centerline and IAP only sell one rear bearing for these cars
(Alfetta/gtv6/Milano),
so I think I got the right bearing.

Here's an illustration:

Old bearing:
----------
 O         |
      |-----

      |-----
 O         |
---------

New bearing:
---------
|           |
---------

----|----
|           |
---------

BTW the new retainer rings can be installed using a "6-lug axle nut socket"
used for the Dana 70
series axle. You can get one of these sockets from AutoZone for about $20,
#OEM 27046.
Unfortunately, I couldn't this tool to remove the old retainer. That one had
to be cut out with a
dremel tool and screwdriver/pry bar.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Rich Hirsch