Springy sound in gas pedal - 164Q

My '94 164Q is making a mildly annoying sound when I push down or release the gas pedal. It sounds like a spring is rubbing against something. The rest of the car is so quiet, this sound is the only thing I hear sometimes (other than the music coming from the tailpipe).

Before I twist myself into a pretzel and try to lubricate the mechanism, can anyone else tell me if they've seen this and quieted it down before?

Thanks
-Glenn