[no subject]

(Clip)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 21:47:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Jerry Ecklund <jre2100@domain.elided>
Subject: What wonderful listers compared to the BMW ones!

I'm buying a 3 series BMW to complement my 164S,
(don't hate me, I'd certainly buy a 147, 156 or newer
GTV if I could get one in the U.S.)  I've placed
postings on two 3 series lists asking about the
differences between the "i" vs. "is" models.  After
numerous responses it appears us Alfa listers know our
cars very well.  The BMW respondents don't have any
idea what the different letters mean.  I can't imagine
anyone on this list who owns a 164 not knowing the
differences between the "S", "L" or "base".

Re-appreciating you all,
Jerry Ecklund, San Francisco
'91 164S
'77 Lancia Beta coupe
soon to have 325i or 325is, too bad not a 156!

Jerry,
I've got lingering Bimmerhead syndrome after many years as the owner of a 1969
1600-2 (and a couple years of penance in an anemic E30 318i, but that's
another story).  In defense of my former BMWCCA brethren, there are many
helpful, knowledgeable, passionate BMW owners out there, but I suspect most of
them have abandoned the bbs's after tolerating too many dunderheaded questions
from the mall cruising latte-slurpers who buy an M3 and then complain
endlessly about the lack of cupholders and the stiff clutch...

I'm no expert, but I can give you the general "i" vs. "is" rundown.  Since the
beginning of modern BMW sedans (in the early '60's), "i" is used after the
model number to indicate the presence of fuel injection, at least on US-spec
models.  The only variation we have seen in the US is when BMW sent us the
much-maligned "eta" engine, which was a low-revving high efficiency engine
produced in response to CAFE regulations and concerns about emissions and
economy.  These cars were designated "325e" in the early years of the series
(1984, '85) and were simply badged "325" near the end of the series (in 1990,
maybe '91) when this engine was brought back for use in the 4-door cars.
Interestingly, the "eta" block is now prized for building hot "stroker"
motors.

The "s" in "is" is for "sport".  As far as I know, on the 3-series cars from
the E21 320i of the late 70's up through the E36 3-series cars sold in the US
through 1997, the "s" models had no difference in engine performance, only in
non-powertrain equipment.  In earlier cars, "s" equipment was usually upgraded
brakes, wheels and tires, sport seats, and possibly some interior trim.  In
the E30 cars of the 80's I think you got the full-on trip computer in the
"is", while the "i" cars just had a clock.  Also, since 4-door 3-series models
were added in the E30 line I think it is only possible to get "is" equipment
on a 2-door.  I think beginning with the E30 cars the "s" package may have had
larger diameter anti-roll bars.  I think the E36 "is" cars got a more sporting
suspension setup.  I'm not sure if the E46 3-series introduced in 1998 came in
an "is" version or if it received any powertrain improvements, but I doubt it,
as the marketing gurus at BMW North America would probably worry about
impinging on sales of the M3.

Another interesting variation is the 325ix -- the all-wheel drive version of
the E30 3series.  A couple other letters for your BMW alphabet -- these are
commonly used in the BMW club and in classified ads, although I'm not sure BMW
uses them officially -- "325ia" for automatic transmission and "325ic" for
convertible.

Of course BMW is famous for improving content in their cars over the life of a
series, so a later 325i might have some of the equipment only available on the
325is of the same series in an earlier model year.  Also of note, the "s"
designation has been dropped in current models, and BMW has reversed and
re-assigned letters used in earlier series -- for example, the new all-wheel
drive cars are "325xi" instead of "325ix", and the letter "c" now designates a
coupe instead of a convertible.  For USA models they also badged the 2.5 liter
cars as "323" for a couple of years, because the marketing department thought
"325" was too close to "328" and might hurt sales of that more expensive
model.  Now they only have the 2.5 and 3.0 liter engines in the USA, so the
model number is back to matching the engine displacement.

OK, enough about German cars, isn't this the Alfa Digest?