Latching GTV6 rear seat...

After 40 minutes of struggling and trying to latch the rear seat of my
82 GTV6, I gave up...

I am having a hard time latching the studs of the rear seat back into
the holes above the gas tank. I can manage to get the drivers seat side
in, but not the passengers side. Any suggestions? I considered a grinder
to make the stud smaller- any tricks to this? Its about 1/2 to 3/4 inch
close... but still too far away to get it in the hole

Thanks,
Michael in New Jersey