Emergency hood release cables

If you want to "roll your own" emergency hood release cable, and you have a
friend into sailing, ask to borrow their swage tool- see

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=201&;
prrfnbr=757&store_num=&store_name=&subdept_num=&subdept_name=&class_num=&clas
s_name=&outlet=

Then you can get a couple of nicopress sleeves (about 23" each) and a few
feet of 1/16" stainless steel wire (about 59" a foot)

You can get all these items online at West Marine (www.westmarine.com) or a
decent boat supply store.

The tool is $22.00 if you're ambitious or live in the flatlands. You may be
able to use a vice grip on the sleeves- but you run the risk of a poor
connection- and what's the use of "insurance" if it's not there when you
need it...

Properly done, a nicopress sleeve will hold hundreds of pounds in the small
sizes, thousands of pounds in large sizes. The larger sizes (1/8" and up)
are used on sailboat rigging- to hold up the mast!

I just made a replacement cable for my Fiat this way- works great.

If you're around Long Island, NY and want to borrow my swage tool- let me
know...

growing older but not up...
Ray
rcmanners@domain.elided