Re: Loose Steering Rack on 164

Rich,

Thanks for this input on the 164 steering rack saga.

I haven't had a chance to look at the situation since the weekend, but I do
need to try for free play with the wheels on the ground.  From other
correspondence though, it seems that the ball joints under the rack boots
might be bad, as by jacking up the car and rocking the wheels the free play
is quite obvious, and is greater on the driver's side than the passenger's.
If the tie rods were OK, and the rack was loose, I would expect that the
freeplay would be about the same on both sides.

I'll hopefully have a play with it tonight, and will report back!

Thanks,
John Wiltshire

are addressed.

If you have received this email in error, you are prohibited from reading,
copying, distributing and using the information.
Please contact the sender immediately by return email and destroy
the original message.