164 Transaxle Leak

Never seen anything like it. This may or may not be connected but I had my
engine rebuilt and a new clutch installed 6,000 km (3700 miles) ago. Driving
home last night there was smoke and the smell of oil from the r.f. of the
this 164S. Oil from the transaxle leaks steadily though the exact source is
hard to spot and it looks like it will require a teardown. You can't keep
oil in the transaxle. Any ideas?

Also, after the same distance with new pistons and rings (recommended
Perfect Circle) I'm burning 2 litre (more or less two U.S. quarts) in 1200
kms (750 miles). I followed the recommended break-in routine so I'm baffled
and so is the shop. Suggestions? Ted