tolerance

In a message dated 11/12/2001 7:31:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Blueprinting means making sure everything inside the engine matches
> the factory specifications or "blueprints."  There are tolerances on any
> manufactured part.  If all parts are within tolerance, they are
> "blueprinted."

. Once upon a time I had a Plymouth Valiant and talk about tolerances!
Everything was as loose and lanky as you could imagine, even so far off that
this Chrysler USA car was actually made miles across the border in Canada!
The factory specs seemed to be if the wheels were round enough to roll the
thing, move it out and let the devil take the blame.

I mention this only as another hint to our friends at FIAT to make sure
everything is as "blueprinted" as possible on the new models destined for NA
shores.  With the wise decision to wait a bit longer to more auspicious
times, they should be released from deadline pressure and have the luxury of
time to make sure everything s as it should be from the design up.  There is
nothing, I think, that will put the final poison dart into Alfa in the USA as
well as something like a 25 cent plastic cog used instead of a 30 cent one,
which causes a $1200 problem with stepper motors, or the equivalent.  We
already expect the engine to be superb (it's an Alfa) but it is time to
really grow up now and hire a whole team of quality-minded folks to make sure
they're blueprinting all those other things that have gotten short shrift
from Alfa over the years -- anything, that is, that isn't involved in going
fast or sailing along in style... all those superfluous creature comforts
that actually sell the car to the 'merican public!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA