Re: Diagnosing Clutch Problem

Alberto,
	Before you blame the clutch, check the dreaded clutch pivot arm.  It's
the piece that connects the pedal to the clutch master cylinder.  Have a friend
push on the clutch pedal while you watch the action of clutch master cylinder.
	The pivot arm (it's the black piece that emerges from the aluminum pedal
box that holds the brake master cylinder and vacuum diaphragm) should cause the
rod on the clutch master cylinder to travel about 25mm in order for the slave
cylinder to travel the specified 11-12mm to release the clutch.
	The problem is that the weld on the pivot arm fatigues and finally
breaks.  There is an excellent article from Len Leeb on how to replace it
(http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/3837/clutarm1.html).  I find I have to
disconnect and bleed the brake lines.  Also, if it is the pivot arm, make sure
the replacement has the extra gusset weld around the arm and large diameter of
the shaft.

Good Luck,
Charlie