Why are old Alfas right-hand drive?

On historic photos obviously taken in Italy, it seems that all pre-1950 Alfas with two front seats are right-hand drive. RHD is presently only employed in countries with left-hand traffic, although some specialized vehicles have a reverse setup (London taxis if memory serves, US mail vehicles). As far as I know, Italy has always had right-hand traffic. Could anybody please explain the use of RHD in older Alfas and whether other marques historically have had the opposite steering setup of what we today consider normal?
Sonny
'91 164S, Baltimore, MD.