Re: alfa-digest V8 #21

Al,
I don't want to make you mad but I would have to say the reason you spun your
164 is a LACK of experience. The handling characteristics and dynamic car
control techniques of a high performance, heavy front wheel drive car are
quite different from a similar rear driver. Basically, to keep the front
driver going in the direction you want requires an opposite response to
controlling a sliding rear driver. FWD needs the front wheels pointing in the
intended direction of travel, NOT counter steering. In a RWD car as the tail
slides out the driver steers in the direction of the slide and usually has
reduces power to catch the car. In a FWD car these actions will exaggerate
the spin because reducing power slows the FRONT tires (the rears have already
lost traction), 60+% of the weight is already on the front tires and the
weight shift from reducing power throws more forward and the car pivots
around the engine. To keep the FWD car going in the right direction, keep the
front tires pointed in the desired direction and the power on! As a racer I
had a very hard time learning/believing this but after trying a powerful FWD
rally car in some very slippery conditions I can say first hand it works. As
a rear drive racer I can't always remember to do it which is probably why you
looped the 164.
Thomas Gonnella