Re:105 window adjustment

Bert wrote...
"Recently the cable on the window winder of my 105 GT Junior came off the
winding mechanism. This in turn stopped me from winding the window up and
down. I reinstalled the cable on the rollers etc but now I can't get the
window to wind right down so that it is level with the top of the door.
There is about 50mm of widow still protruding out of the door. I have tried
everything to fix the problem so is there anyone out there who can help me
with this problem?"

and Skip replied...
"There should be two clamps on the bottom of the window frame that clamp the
cable to the frame.  You can loosen these and position the window anywhere
you want in relation to the cable.  There are also stops at the top and
bottom that limit the upper and lower travel postion of the window."

I would like to add that the cable should be dimpled where the factory
clamped this cable to the window.  Since the window was positioned correctly
initially, I would use these dimples as a starting point.  This stranded
cable won't stretch and if the window isn't going all the way to the top,
there is something wrong with either the cable tension or routing.  When I
had this problem recently, I removed the cable from the window and pulled
the winding mechanism out of the door.  I restrung the cable and the
original dimples placed the window exactly where it should be in relation to
the winder.

As a starting point, I would position the window all the way up (and with
the winding mechanism out of the car) and wind the cable so that the winder
is in the 'full up' position.  In other words, wind the cable up from the
pulley furthest away from the door hinges.  This puts the window up, so to
speak.  With the cable properly wound, put the winding mechanism back in the
door and string the cable over the pullies.  When you get to the last pulley
furthest away from the door hinges, you will have to rotate the winding
mechanism to get the cable to loop over the pulley.  You should see the
cable dimples lining up with the clamps on the bottom of the window frame.
These can be reattached and the cable can be tightened by rotating the
winding mechanism and tightening the bolts.

Also, make sure the cable is routed correctly.  Off the winder going up, the
cable loops over the first roller.  From this first roller, the cable goes
through the clamp on the bottom front of the window.  The cable routes down
to the front roller at the bottom of the door.  From here it loops up at
about a 45 degree angle to go over the top of the top rear roller.  After
going over the top of this roller, the cable routes through the clamp at the
bottom rear of the window.  From here, the cable routes under the roller at
the bottom rear of the door and around to the winding mechanism.

This would be much easier to describe with diagrams.

Cheers,
Lawrence
'71 GTV

Lawrence Gowin