Re: alfa-digest V8 #210 - flywheel position

       The shops that balance engines put the marks where ever they want.
They may or may not be in line with TDC.  However, EVERY part that was
balanced will be marked with a similar mark.  Look on the back of the
crankshaft flange for a mark to match that on the flywheel.  Or call the shop
and ask them where the other mark is located.  Plus there should be a mark on
the pressure plate, it you had it balanced with the engine.
       All four cylinder Alfa flywheels fit in any position prior to the
electronically injected Alfas.  However, once an engine is balanced as a
unit, then everything needs to be assembled the way it was balanced.  That is
why the marks are there.  A good shop should be able to balance each
component separately so they can fit in any position, however, most of them
balance the assembly as a unit.  Therefore, you need to align the marks they
left for you.
       As noted by Charles.Slayman in AD V8 #211, the magnetic trigger on the
flywheel for the L Jetronic engines needs to be in the correct position, so
those flywheels fit one way only.  On my 82 and 84 L Jetronic engines, I made
sure to point out to the shop that balanced my engine the way the flywheel
HAD to fit.  I checked to make sure the O's they marked for alignment were
correct before I paid them.  Since the crank sensor moved to the harmonic
balancer on the Motronic engines, the flywheel position may make no
difference again.

       I have no idea why your shop and mine both used an O to indicate the
alignment.  Are yours also painted white?  Maybe that is ona them thar trade
secrets....

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City