Engine stands

This thread, for good reason, comes back often.

Unfortunately I can't resist it.

Unless someone truly sells me on the idea, I'd say, "Don't ever hang a
4-cylinder engine by it's skinny little bellhousing / transmission
studs.

True, looking at my Harbor Freight engine mount, if one was to machine
special inserts which could be placed over the skinny studs, so that
when snugged down on the mount, it might be a possibility. The studs are
6 mm, the ID of the / my HF mounting holes is 16.3 mm, length of
mounting 'rods' is 50 mm + / . The advantage is one would have
unhindered access to both sides and of course the front.

Possibly the safest solution is a stand I bought about 12 years ago,
used once, then sold. It is a box like framework made up of square
tubing with castors on all four corners. The engine is lowered (as I
recall) into the 'cradle' and bolted down on both sides. Very secure and
easy to rotate, depending on what is / is not on the engine at any given
time. The downside (again as I recall) is that one can't mount
everything on the engine while on the stand. It's also a bit low. Not
sure who if anyone is still making them. Pricey and take up a lot of
room when not being used.

Once again not bothering to go back and research what was said about the
single mounting bracket on one side only, but...

Prior to my purchasing the box type engine stand I had heard horror
stories of  Alfa blocks cracking or even breaking by being mounted by
either the rear studs or on one side only. Since then, I have never
heard of this happening (anyone?). I now always mount on one side
(exhaust) only so I can install the fuel system while still on the
stand.

I have mentioned how I've used a modified engine mount (with rubber
removed) welded to a pipe. I had sort of semi-permanently borrowed it
from a friend. Last time I used it, it began to crack when the engine
was about 2/3 completed. I put tires under it as I quickly got out the
engine hoist, removed, then had re-welded up to a fair-thee-well. Friend
had the audacity to borrow it back.

As someone (sorry, very short memory) mentioned, they used fairly heavy
metal plate  for the actual mount, drilled 3 holes, welded it to a heavy
duty pipe and had their mount. The Harbor Freight mount has a series of
8 holes in the pipe so the engine can be stopped / held at virtually any
angle. When / if I make a new one, I'll probably only drill two (either
up or down). I do like the insurance of the extra ring HF adds to the
outside of the pipe where it comes in contact with the mounting plate.

Now, if this latter concept appeals to enough people, does anyone want
to 'manufacture' the Alfa mounting portion of a Harbor Freight engine
stand (seems the most universal one)? I'd much prefer to purchase since
I don't have handy welding and cutting facilities. All I'd ask is that
it fits and if anything, is over engineered.

If no one steps forward, I'd consider it, but since I would be
purchasing everything outwouldn't be inexpensive.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA