Re: alfa-digest V8 #204

On Mon, 05 Nov 2001 08:37:22 -0500, alfa-digest wrote:

>Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 8:03:38 -0500
>From: "Robert W. Murphy" <rmurphy@domain.elided>
>Subject: Bad Speedometer
>
>The speedometer on my 1990 Spider (motronic) quit working the other day
while
>I was driving.  The odometer and trip odometer do not work either.  I have
no
>clue as to what caused it to fail.  I tried looking in my factory manual,
but
>could not find anything in there about the speedo.  It is an electronic
>speedo, meaning the cable does not actually go all the way to the speedo in
>the instrument cluster.  The cable ends at a little box by the clutch master
>cylinder.  Then an electical signal is sent to the gauge.  I checked all
the
>connections there and every thing seems to be all right.  I have not crawled
>under the car yet.  Where does the cable attach to under the car?  Could the
>problem be a bad cable?  Electrical problem?  Possibly the actual gauge
>itself?  Any ideas, wisdom?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rob Murphy
>Orange Park FL

I don't know about the Spiders, but many Alfas (GTV6, Milano) use a pulse
generator that installs into the transmission/transaxle. It's easy to replace
(cost may be $60-$100). However, the speedo itself can fail, as well. Most
speedo shops can repair them for a reasonable price; just take it out and
have them fix it, then reinstall.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to find out if the pulse generator is working
without replacing it with one that does work. Perhaps you know soneone else
with a Spider who will let you borrow one that works?

A. Cogbill
Los Alamos, NM