Re: 1300 Spider Junior Front Bumpers

> From: Brock Butler <butler@domain.elided>
> Subject: This is a test - 1300 Spider Junior Front Bumpers

> Question:  Does the 1300 Spider Jr. have a lower front bumper that is
> painted?

Hi, Brock.  I am the proud owner of a '69 Spider 1300 Junior in pretty
original condition, and have done a bit of research on these cars.  The
lower "bumperettes" on all 1300 Juniors ('68 & '69) were indeed painted
black.  Powder-coating them a shiny black would be incorrect.  To do it
right, you will need to paint them a "low-gloss" black (not shiny, not flat
either).  The original paint on these "bumperettes" was a low-gloss black
paint which I have been able to closely match using the black enamel found
in most hardware stores.

While we're at it, here are a few more facts about the original parts on the
1300 Junior:
1. Two-spoke wheel (with the opposing spokes pointed roughly in the ten
o'clock and two o'clock positions);
2. Front side markers were the same as found on the '69 1750, but without
the rear ones that the 1750s had;
3. Front parking lights (in the bumperettes) had a white plastic lens;
4. Rear lights were red with amber turn signals (a red/amber combination
lens);
5. Driver's side had a mirror, the passenger side did not.  The correct
mirrors were the round type chrome mirror (with Alfa logo) and it was
mounted on the driver's door;
6. Correct air filter assembly was located on the intake side, not the
exhaust side (unlike the 1600 duetto);
7. No console.  The transmission tunnel had a small ashtray mounted on it;
8. Rubber shift boot and plain, black shift knob;
9. Different red-line on tachometer than 1600 or 1750 (5900 rpm);
10. If a radio was installed, dealers would install it.  Antennas would
usually be in the right front fender (though not always).  The (usual) radio
option was a Blaupunkt AM only radio, with a single speaker mounted in a
plastic Blaupunkt box screwed into the passenger footwell (I have one of
these radios in mine).
11. Two-speed wipers came on some 1300s;
12. Non-functional vent windows (fixed in place);
13. No headlight covers;
14. A more simple seat design without headrests or backrest adjustment
(although a little adjustment is possible using a pair of pliers to adjust
the two rest-points for the seat backs); and
15. All 1300 Juniors had a black interior (different color transmission hump
carpet [the only carpet in the car]was available [black or tan] based on the
original color).

There are many mechanical differences too, but those are too many to list
here.

You should join "Osso-Talk", which is a digest similar to this one, but only
for "Roundtail" owners.  You can find Osso-Talk by going to
www.ossodiseppia.com and registering your car.  They will then send you the
"keys" to get into the members area.  From there, you can register with
"osso talk".  If you want to skip most of the above, try just registering by
using http://ossodiseppia.com/o/c/ch.html.  I hope this works for you!  It's
a great resource and all the "roundtail" owners will help you with your
questions.

Cheers,
Alex Csank
Norfolk, VA
Rally Director, Alfa Romeo Pan-America Rally 2003
'69 Spider 1300 Junior (kids always yell out: "Sweeeeeet car!!" when I drive
by)
'78 Alfetta Sprint Veloce (now with new bell-housing - whew, that wasn't
easy!...and new front air dam)
'87 Milano Gold (need to get that new timing belt, water pump and tensioner
soon)
'98 VW Jetta TDi (120k before I had to change brake pads!)