La Carrera GTV REPORT

Well, I am finally home after a very long and tiring, but unbelievably
exciting couple of weeks.

Well, it was just an amazing time to start with, the police escorts, the
adoring fans, the parties, more parties, more fans, etc......

The car had a few problems, but when everything was running right it did
rather well. We were running a 69 GTV with a 2.0 motor with a little work
done to it. The car is basically a warmed up street car, completely street
legal and drivable.

The first problem we ran into (and had a problem with repeatedly) was the
fuel system, I was lucky enough to snag a spare fuel pump from another
competitor while at a fuel stop, and swapped it out on the spot. That
somewhat fixed that problem for a while, but it surfaced again throughout the
race with fuel starvation problems.

Then we had a total alternator failure, the main screws that hold the housing
together came out and the alternator literally fell apart. This created a
rather big problem, so we managed to find a "electrico mechanico" in town
(since we didn't have a spare) and he managed to rig up some random GM
alternator and made it work. We were now back in the race and on the road
again. The next day went rather smoothly with only one small fuel starvation
problem that I managed to get fixed quick enough to pass the Porsche that was
ahead of us in that speed stage. That night to my surprise at the drivers
meeting I was awarded with second place for the day in our class "Historic
A", that was a really big surprise. The next day spelled disaster though, the
same fuel problem sprung up again during the speed stage. I got it fixed and
going again, but unfortunately the driver "Peter" was in too much a rush to
try and catch up and pushed to hard right off the road. We were luckily
though, the previous two turns were cliffs. we just managed to go into a
ditch and bend the frame.

Well, the next day we go to a frame shop and get it straight enough to finish
the race, but competing was not an option anymore. We were able to finish the
race and cross the finish line (barely) and what an experience. Our fellow
Alfa buds understated the crowds and adoring fans. I think my hand is still
sore from signing autographs. We are planning on going back next year and
trying to go for the gold, but we will be MUCH more prepared. If you are
interested in seeing some pictures and more stories you can check out our
site we put up.

www.eimsdirect.com/race

Thanks
Zack