RE: Alfa chips

> That's an interesting fact--what do you suppose Tom Zat has been doing
> with his "Pandoras Box"? Or Jonathan Kirshtein with HIS modifications?

Well, inside the L-Jet box you'll find an analog computer.  You can change
the basic parameters by swapping out a bunch of $0.19 resistors.

The key, of course, is knowing which ones to swap, and what to swap them
with.

I know that Jonathan, Fred, and one other individual spent huge amounts of
time doing r&d to figure it all out.  I'm guessing they had to reverse
engineer the box, draw up a schematic, just to figure out which resistor
does what.  Then they spent a bunch of track time to figure out the ideal
values to replace them with.  I also seem to remember that they melted more
than one set of pistons in the process.

Which is why a modified ECU, with a couple of bucks worth of resistors in
it, is worth what they charge for them.

Zat, of course, does the same basic thing, however I don't know how he
derived which ones to change and what to change them to.  I've heard rumors
that he might have had a head start of some sort.

I've used the Jonathan/Fred ECU and it does make a noticeable difference.
My Verde (for sale - BOXBOROUGH MASS) came with a Zat ECU in it, but I've
never swapped in a stock one to compare it to.  The car is quite fast,
however.

HTH,

bs