Still scratching..........

Alfisti,

Thanks much for the help with my Spider's ills. We've made some progress,
however.  After verifying the AFM through the connection at the ECU, I
treated it with Stabilant and now things are a little better.

Here's the situation now:

1)  Start the car, everything is fairly normal, but it hunts for the right
idle.
2)  Tach jumps around between about 700-900 RPM.
3)  After about 30 seconds, it finds a speed it likes and it settles in and
just purrs beautifully.
4)  If you even so much as tap the gas, it starts the hunt idle sequence all
over again.
5)  While this is going on, and independently as well, the Check Engine
light is off.  When the car gets up to a certain temperature, it comes on,
but seems to have no effect on the engine.
6)  What's it not doing now that it was before?  Wanting to shut off.  That
seems to be corrected.

Now, I've get a 1223 code from the Motronic self-diagnosis.  (I got 1221-AFM
before.)  1223 is "Lambda Regulation to Limit Stop".  I found a Tech Serv
Bulletin which tells me how to proceed from here, but it refers me to the
164 service manual for some specifics.  Namely, how to test plugs, plug
wires, distributor cap & rotor, coil wire and coil without an oscilloscope.
Also, it refers me to the "164 Wiring Diagrams and Electrical Diagnosis
Manual, Motronic 4.1 ignition/injection section, page 8) for the procedure
to actuate the Motronic Actuator Test Mode, code 1411, the purpose of which
is to test the fuel injectors for "triggering".

Does anyone have this information available to scan and email to me?  Many
thanks.

Maybe I'll be cruising by the spring.....  :-(

Rex McInvale
'90 Graduate
Macon, GA
rex.mcinvale@domain.elided