RE: how to retrieve an impounded car

> I've got a question for the more experience people on the digest:
> Suppose some idiot leaves an unlicensed car on the street
> temporarily, and before he can get the licensed cars out of his
> driveway, the unlicensed car gets towed away.  What does one do to go
> about retrieving their car, and what does this usually cost?

Well you, er, uh, the *idiot*, needs to find out where it is and why it was
impounded.  I've had legally registered cars towed and impounded (Earnest
the Alfetta did some time in an impound lot in San Jose), all that was
required was paying the daily charge.

If the car was towed for being unregistered, you're going to need to show up
with proper registration if you want to drive it away.  You'll also be
responsible for daily charges.

And note that there are daily charges, probably $20 to $30 per day.  And, in
most cases, if you don't retrieve it within a certain amount of time (like
30 days) they will assume ownership and auction it off.

bs