re: Trailing Arm Dilemma - 68 Duetto 1300 Jr.

> During the restoration project I swapped the trailing arms
>for replacements that were cleaned and had new poly bushings installed.
>When I went to install them I discovered they had the larger 50mm OD
>bushings at the body....Bottom-line - do I go ahead and install the rear
>suspension as is, or, try to get my 36mm OD trailing arms back?

It really depends on your values and your intentions for the car.  The
original trailing arms are clearly "correct" from the standpoint of
originality, but Alfa switched to the larger bushing because they believed
it was superior, so it was an upgrade from the factory's point of view.
Taking a more practical view, all other things being equal, a larger
bushing will provide more suspension compliance, which track nuts call
"slop," but comfort-oriented street drivers tend to view as a benefit.   If
your plans for the car include track use, the original trailing arms might
be preferable.  Otherwise, it probably doesn't make any practical
difference.   There a couple of extra wrinkles, however.  New, plastic
bushings in the large size are certainly better than worn out stock
bushings in the small size.  And, to make things really complicated, I
don't think 36 mm bushings are available in plastic.  A practical solution
might be to get the original trailing arms back, but  put them on the shelf
and assemble the car together with the parts you have already taken the
trouble to refurbish and see how you like it.  If you're happy with it,
fine, if you're not, you can decide whether it's worth the trouble to put
the old trailing arms back on.

Dana Loomis