Re: Off-topic but...

Hi Eric:

It sounds like you may be describing a desmodromic valve.  If so, they're
hardly new technology.  Back in the late 70's I had a Benelli 750sei and my
friend had a Ducati 900 SS 'Desmo'.  The 'Desmo' designation referred to
its desmodromic engine valves, and I recall as we were writing our checks,
the salesman mentioned that the desmo valvetrain was a Ducati invention
(Dr. Fabrizio something, I think).  Anyway, I was too anxious to fire up
all six cylinders of the new Benelli to argue at the time, but I beleive
Mercedes-Benz had previously used a desmo valvetrain in an F1 car of the
50's.

I'm sure a web search would turn up more facts, certainly more accurate
than what I've provided, but I haven't the time just now.  And, I know
there are other Italian bike experts on this list that are also more
qualified to provide facts.  Any 50's F1 Benz aficionados?

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
dwc@domain.elided

'74 Spider Veloce