[no subject]

Hello all,
 The clunking noise generated from the cracked frame, next to the steering box itself (Tom Sahines found it). It ran a long side the drain hose from the front tire looking in. When we turned the steering wheel, we could see the crack separating and close.
 Every place wants $300-$500.00 to weld and put a little plate at the crack. I found this muffler shop near home (after 3-4 body shops & muffler shops) would do it for $45.00.
 He jacked the car up and the inside didn's show any separation except a little at the edge of the frame. He wired welded that & the outside & putting a little plate covering the crack.
 The noise was gone. He doesn't guarantee the work of course, but no one does (even the $500 estimate one). The work that he did, looks solid, will see how long it will last.
 One less noise for my 91 Alfa.
 It pays to shop around and sometimes you can find someone would do what you asked for. Most of the shops like to make you feel totally ignorant and charge a lot with producing the same result.
 Thank you all for giving me the info on steering box recall.
 Tom said most Alfa spiders has this problem. So if your steering box make clunking noise when you turn the steering wheel back and forth (on the free play), then it may be one of the problems.

Cheers,

Louis
91 Spider Veloce,
Sunnyvale, CA.