Re: Paul's P-car note

"For my limited budget...the 911 has changed a great deal over the 35
years or production. Sure the general look and layout are recognizable (I actually think they've done a good job of developing a discenrable
'lineage' over time), but to say that it was basically the same car over
that period is incorrect. Look under the skin and they did a great deal
of re-engineering/updating over time. Decent car for the money.

AD"

Yes, the point I was trying to make was that the 911's basic layout and concept had remained the same from 1965 through 1997; rear mounted aircooled flat six, transaxle, two doors, etc, but there's a bit more to it than that. I'm familiar with how much the details have technically evolved from the early 2.0 semi-trialing arm rear suspenion  car to the final aircooled 3.-something multilink suspended car. I was not referring to the even later, and current watercooled car. The relationship between the original 911 and the 993 is really more than just  a "general look and layout" or something of a "discenrable 'lineage'"; they shared the same basic body shell after 32 years of production, with a number of refinements. And compared to the current Carrera, it was relatively unchanged.

In contrast to how much other machines have changed/evolved during the same period, the changes don't seem that great (think 1965 through 1997 Mustangs, and all the versions in between). I acknowledge that the Alfa Spider did not fall into that catagory.
Cheers,
Paul Mitchell