less 911or anything else Jibes...please

Hi there all:(here I go again, influencing people and making friends!)
	Well I'm a newby over here, I had several Alfa's during the '80s
('74 Spider, and a '82 GTV6)and have decided I'd like to have another
Spider. Where have I been since the mid-80s? Lets see a BMW 2002 tii, a
Mysterian FV, a SCCA Spec RX7, and still have the 911SC I bought in '91, and
just built a 924S for Porsche club racing. I abandoned the 924/944/964 mail
group because of some of this kind of silly bickering, you wouldn't
believe...well maybe you would...I've enjoyed all of these cars and they
have been great fun to own and drive.
	As you can see I have also spent some time at the track, I've had a
SCCA National license, a RMVR (Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing) license, and
currently a PCA provisional license. So at some level I feel OK to comment
about a cars handling, and ease of set up. Yes the 911 demands much of it
driver to extract the most of the chassis, but I remember just a couple of
years ago Damon Hill commenting on the Arrows F1 car as it being too easy to
drive, the cars limits were to low, unlike the Williams that was harder to
drive, to get up on the "knife edge", but had more performance potential.
Also while I'm at it, I'd like to comment on the one persons observation
that you just "tap" a 911 on entering a corner to spin it out...any car
during set up phase or entry into a corner will mass transfer forward onto
the front wheels (or more clearly the loaded outside front wheel) lighting
up the back of the car making it easy to "help around". By the way if such
an incident was not reported to the tower by the corner workers for later
discussion I'd want to know why, rubbin-aint racin.
	Any rate, I find it disappointing that this kind of silly bantering
is here also. Porsche, Alfa, MB, Ferrari, et al... have interesting history,
on the track and off the track. Lets revel in the fact that there are GTV's,
Spiders (&) Spyders, 911's, 356, Speedsters, 280Sl's, etc. The world is
becoming to full of amazingly competent, refrigerators, expensive appliances
that have so many levels of electronics that if it stops running that all
you can do is call AAA,your dealer, and the bank to arrange a loan to cover
the cost of repairing the car. I want to turn the clock back, I want to
drive simpler, more engaging cars, ones that talk to you through all of the
control, ones that you don't see just everywhere, ones from companies with
history and presents.
	Sorry to make this my "howdy, hello", but I came here to learn about
the Spider I want to buy for myself, not to hear people belittle great
automobiles, and using their own points of view as the gold standard for
everyone else.
	Now about that Spider, I think I'd want a late 1750 or a 2000 and as
stock as possible, how do I look at the rust-to-cost ratio. I've joined the
Alfa Club I should think that this would be a good place to start looking
into a car. So far here in Denver/Littleton I keep going out to look at cars
with my uninitiated wife and am finding some really scary, rusty cars. So
far she likes the looks of the Spider, but I really want to take her for a
ride in a good one on a pretty day with the top down, to really get her to
"get" that oh-wow joy of top down motoring. By the way she has driven my
911SC a lot and raced her 924S (yes actually that is her car) in local
Porsche Club events.

Thanks for listening...
Rick Glesner
Littleton, Colorado