Re: Coil-Over Suspension VS Stiffer Torsion Bars for Zamani's Milano (75)

> Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 23:03:42 -0500
> From: Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided>
> Subject: Zamani's suspension

If'n memory serves me right (getting to be the age when it doesn't always do
that), I believe that Zamani once noted in a 'post' that he didn't think
there was a suitable stiffer torsion bar available.  Having just reviewed my
sources,  I see that AR Ricambi (www.arricambi.com) carries Super-sport
($229) and race ($475) torsion bars for the Milano.

I think that stiffer torsion bars would be cheaper AND more effective than
coil-overs for a Milano, but then again...having only recently become a
member of the "Torsion Bar Club", I was thinking that maybe Zamani was "on
to something".

The GTV6 site at www.gtv6.org has some reference postings about the merits
and pitfalls of stiffer torsion bars, and about lowering the front of a
116/119.  These apply equally to the Milano.  Bottom line is that you need
to stiffen the suspension through stiffer torsion bars if you lower the
front...simply lowering the stock suspension will only make you 'bottom
out".

Hoping this helps.  I'm going to be getting some stiffer bars for my Alfetta
Sprint Veloce (uses 205/50-15 rubber), so I can keep it low without
bottoming the exhaust/ frame on the ground under street conditions (I will
be using her on the street sometimes).  My Milano is lowered in the rear
with lower Shankle springs, and is lower overall through the addition of
195/50-15 Pirelli P700Zs on CEC 129 wheels...for the street, that's about as
low as I want to go.

Cheers,
Alex Csank
Norfolk, VA