Re: Errata

<snip>

> Even Mazda and Toyota have won at Le Mans. Endurance racing is not about
> fast cars, just durable ones that aren't too slow.

Hey Michael,

Actually, Mazda did win back in '91, however Toyota *never* did.
They tried absolutely desperately for many years, but finally gave up
after 1999 (the year they came very very close with their GT-ONE,
but were beat out by that fabulous white V12-powered BMW).
Remember that Toyota is one of the largest and richest automotive
companies in the World, and by no means a pushover..

This is the same with General Motors who sent in their Cadillacs,
but gave up after their rookie year ended up with them some 70
laps behind.  Also note that Nissan was *never* able to triumph at
Le Mans.  This reminds me now that Mercedes (Daimler) was also
in this game this past decade with no success.  They did manage
to show how to launch a few M-B's into the air though (!!!), so there
is a little bit more to Le Mans than an engine that will keep going
and going.. ;]

The last four years have been dominated by Audi (2), BMW (1),
and Porsche (1).  So, it isn't *so* easy to win, and I'm quite
impressed that two of the smallest out there (Porsche and BMW)
have come out on top.  Heck, an Italian marque hasn't won since
the 60's (probably more due to a lack of any participation though,
except a few privateers throwing in a production Ferrari (F40s,
333SPs, etc..) every other year or so.

Ok, adding some obligatory content to satisfy those who require
this. ;]  Any word on Alfa Romeo, Lamborghini, or maybe Maserati
getting into Le Mans?  I assume Alfa is going to enjoy many years
of touring car racing.  But I've heard rumours of Maserati getting to
race again maybe in CART?  Le Mans?  Would be nice..

Still thinking we should complain about Camrys, Cavaliers, and
Aztecs instead.. ;]

take care,
Ryan
SAAB 900 Turbo