Re: CA smog test cut-off year

 From www.smogcheck.ca.gov

At this time, all 1973* and older vehicles are exempt from the Smog
Check Program, but owners of these vehicles are still required by law
to keep their emissions systems intact. Current legislation requires
vehicles 30-years-old or more to be exempted from the program
beginning in 2003.

Note: All year designations refer to the model year of the vehicle,
as listed on the vehicle registration.

Looks like the 74s won't be exempt until 2004?

Steve

>Could someone point me to the current California law regarding the
>cut-off year for smog testing cars? Yes, I know this was a fairly
>
>It is currently 1973 and older in CA. I was told by the smog tester guy
>that in 2003, 74's will then be exempt. However after just visiting the
>DMV, the employees knew nothing about the law. Was it repealed?
>
>Can anyone verify one way or the other? Also, IF 74's Will be exempt in
>03, does that mean 75's will be exempt in 04, etc.?
>
>In any event, I'm in the process of having my Alfetta GT re-registered
>as a '75. I was given information regarding these cars by a friend
>which, as it turns out, the DMV does not possess. After researching all
>of their archives (for a half hour) the woman came back and said she
>would accept my information and wrote in that it is Now a '75.
>
>Unfortunately I didn't bring my title and so couldn't complete the
>change.
>
>Sometimes there are advantages of getting older. However, the sooner the
>better.
>
>Biba
>Irwindale, CA USA
>
>--