Joe/911vsGTV-6

I'm amazed sometimes by car people. Especially the ones who are adamant
about other marks even though they've obviously never owned one at
length... I currently own/drive a '83 911 SC, previous Porsches include the
5 various 911s, 944T, 928S4 and funky 914. I also own a '86 GTV-6 with 164S
cams, full Shankle suspension, new rotor, a very nice example. Previous
Alfas include 2 other GTV-6's, '65 GT Sprint Veloche, '69 GTV, 74 GTV and a
'71? Spider. How do the 911 and GTV-6 compare? They are both completely
different. The 911 wins in my mind (I'm a certified Porsche driving
instructor, lotsa time in both cars over a number of years). The GTV-6 is a
more civilized car, it's not as fast as the 911 but makes wonderful
noise... it's torque curve is flatter than the 911's. The stock 3.0 911
engine will go as soon as you put your foot down, the GTV-6 is quick but
gradual in the way the power propels the car (freight train?). Ergonomics?
The 911 fits me better than the GTV-6. I'm 5'10". The 911 fits me like a
glove, similar to my 105 series cars (without the arm stretch). The GTV-6
has a huge steering wheel (non-power and hard to turn at a stop), excellent
seats, the clutch and gas pedals are too close for my feet, excellent for
heel and toeing, noisy/crude interior fan. Interior design? The Alfa
screams of being designed in the late '70's. Still hate how you have to
reach to the upper middle dash to put the windows down, radio is a reach
too, poor placement of interior lights. The rest is great. 911? Porsche was
concerned with racing first. The interior is functional. Nothing more. Easy
to reach the radio, door switches are next to the arm rests and easy to
use. From a driver's perspective the tach is dead center and easy to read.
Speedo is right next to it. The '83 911 does not have a light above the
back window, so if you're in the rear seats the only way to have your head
touch them would be to lay your head against the side fixed  windows on the
right or left. The heat controls between the seats is a natural once you
know they're there. Again fits like a glove for the serious driver. On the
track the 911 would have the edge if driven by the same driver. The Alfa is
closer to a touring sedan, with more room and a softer all around feel. The
911 is closer to a pure sports car. Similar but not. Would I want my wife
to drive a 911 or GTV-6? Yes! Women can drive as well as men. Some can some
can't on both sides. I think the biggest drawback for a female driver in a
911 would be all the attention she would draw, other than that it's a very
easy car to drive. And it's really very hard to have the ass end come
around. In order to do that you have to drive "well over your head" and at
that point it's your own fault not the car. In the GTV-6 she might have a
problem parking it because of the steering, but other than that she'd be
fine. Cheers!