Chain slap, how often to adjust

Hi Alan Lambert, I'm not sure about official factory frequency but I think
10K miles is not too often.  IF you hear chain slap, don't wait.  Best
possible synthetic lubricant makes chains last longer.  I worry about people
loosening the bolt more than ONE FULL TURN.  The danger comes in letting the
wedge go free and then the idle sprocket can no longer be kept tight.  If
one finds the chain getting loose after an adjustment, check to see if the
wedge is indeed centered.  No big deal to check.  Simply pull the bolt out
all the way (DO NOT START OR CAUSE THE ENGINE TO MOVE WITH the bolt out)
then with a mirror and light, look to see if the hole in the wedge is
centered with the bolt hole.  If the tit on the bolt is squashed or not
there, you've got a problem I can help you with that repair.

A note I've been meaning to add about whether you should join AROC, to get
tech help.  While I intend to try to help all Alfisti on the Digest, I
cannot be there all the time like I am for Club member who can call me any
day from 7 am to 11 pm on the Club hot line.  We also have 4 other advisors
available at other times for Club members.   Then, there is the CLUB library
for all technical publications and such.  Thanks for listening, Fred Di
Matteo  AROC technical advisor in Fort Myers, Florida