changing front crank seal on Milano

To my dismay, the newly rebuilt 3.0L in my Milano track car started leaking
oil from the front crank seal this weekend while at Willow Springs for the
SoCal AROC driving school. This is obviously no good, as it is leaking right
onto the timing belt! So now I have exactly a month before the next track
outing... how do I go about changing this seal?

 I looked through the shop manual, and it appears that I only have to remove
the crank pulley. From looking at the drawings in the manual, it appears to
me that the front seal actually sits in the front cover. Will I have to
remove the front cover as well? How do I keep the crank from rotating when I
loosen the crank nut? Does anyone have the factory tool that I could borrow?
Where am I going to find a torque wrench that will go up to the required 174
lb/ft? My biggest question is: Do I have to take the damn motor out of the
car AGAIN?? What would cause this seal to start leaking after only 1000
miles or so??

Thanks in advance!

Chip Mutza
San Diego, CA