steps to replace a failed water pump (spider)

I had my '87 Spider in the shop a month ago to get her to pass emissions
(long story!), although at the time I neglected to mention she's been
running hot and that I'd periodically found drips of coolant on the garage
floor. They mentioned they'd found during their inspection that my water
pump was on its last legs and advised me to fix it ASAP. That very same day,
I drove the Spider across Lake Washington and went north for an ITU (Italian
Tune Up), came back, passed emissions, drove to work, then drove home at the
end of the day. (Sidebar: it was a fabulous sunny and cool day and I had the
top down and really enjoyed being back in the Spider!). I pulled into the
driveway in the evening to park for a moment -- since I was going to take
her out for another drive to the beach (since it was such a nice evening),
ran into the house, came back out, and while I was gone she had puked
coolant all over the driveway. At that point, I rolled her into the garage
and took my other car out, but the next day in going into the garage I found
maybe 3-4 cups of coolant all over the garage flloor. It seemed to have come
from the passenger side of the engine compartment. I haven't tried to drive
her to the shop, thinking it wouldn't be good for the engine (to drive).

I guess... it's the water pump?

If I make that assumption, what should my first step be? Should I drain the
radiator, and if so, how? I seem to recall when I was helping a friend
replace the radiator fan a few years ago that there was a lower hose on the
passenger side of the radiator, and that's where to start. Is this right?

Can you advise me what in the world a water pump looks like? Is it somewhere
on the outside of the engine? Really, the only engines I've seen apart are
early 911 engines ... I don't even know what the one on my Audi looks like.

Thanks for the advice!

Tess
in Seattle, WA USA
p.s. - followup to the brake pads for the insanely curious: I was recently
helping some friends who were racing (their Alfa and Mustang) and they
showed me exactly how to replace my brake pads, so I'm ready to do that.
Only thing is... I haven't done it yet because another item found in my
inspection (and the reason for why my brakes felt so sappy in the first
place) was that I'd ruined the rotors, so I have to replace those as well.
I'm thinking I should get the car to run first, and then do the brakes....
I'll come back later and ask you guys about the rotors.