Follow up to spongy Spider barkes

Russ,

Thanks for your response.

The Spider is a 1977 model but the firewall mounted master cylinder has been
replaced with an underfloor dual master cylinder and floor mounted pedals
from a 1974 Australian Berlina with dual boosters . The brakes are ATE from
the original spider. Not the older Dunlop.  Car also has Euro cams and
Dellorto carbies and euro rear bumper.
The car has been driven about 10 miles in short trips with the previous
callipers but there was no improvement in the brakes.
As the brake pedal gets nice and hard when I clamp off the flexible brake
lines as close as possible to the callipers, I can only assume that
everything before the calliper is OK with no air in it. This would include
the master cylinder and the lines to and from the boosters and rule out the
flexible hoses etc. There must be air still in the callipers, even though no
bubbles come out when you bleed it. I am planning on unbolting the callipers
and trying to bleed them as I hold them higher and wiggle them about etc,
hoping to get any air to the highest point.
The brakes will pump up to a nice firm pedal when you have the motor
running, no pedal slowly sinking to the floor or anything like that. But
once you take your foot off the brake the pedal is spongy again till you
pump it half a dozen times, and then it's nice and firm again. Got to be air
in the callipers somewhere I think.
I suppose what pisses me off is that my mate just rebuilt the callipers in
his 1974 GTV, bled them once, and the brakes are perfect. He can't believe I
am having this trouble as his went together without any problems.
Anyway thanks for your thoughts. If you have any more ideas let me know.
Regards
Marty
Newcastle
Australia