Re: Cold running Spider

Hello Henrik:

I would guess you've got either no thermostat, or else a bad one that's
stuck open.  You may hear some suggestion that the restrictor in your
bypass hose may be the cause, as well, and that might be an equally valid
opinion.  For comparison, I let my '74 idle for maybe a minute 'til the
water gauge just nips 100 degrees, and then drive very slowly for about the
first mile or so, with revs below 3000, and by then the temp's at 180.  I
still won't use any real revs for another 10 minutes or so, as when I had
'67 GTV (with an oil temp gauge), the oil temp took quite some time to get
above 200.  Granted, I'm in s. Florida, but on cool winter mornings at 40
degrees outside, the process doesn't seem to take much longer.

Why no anti-freeze?

As an aside, you mentioned the XR3000 ignition.  I've got one on my Spider,
with the LX-91 coil.  I've found that performance is less than optimum with
the Lodge HL plugs (or Bosch Platinum +4).  The electrode gaps measure
inconsistent, both inter- and intra-plug, and I've had better results with
a single-ground platinum plug with a gap of .040".

Good luck the Spider.  I saw some pics from Concorso Italiano, and it looks
great.

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
dwc@domain.elided

'74 Spider Veloce (had so much fun driving last night, I tried to engage
6th gear)
Lutz, FL