Re: Loss of Alfa Parts Supplier

In a message dated 10/9/01 4:55:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
schugof@domain.elided writes:

> Alfisti,
>
> Several months ago, several persons were complaining about the
> "responsiveness" of some of our Alfa parts suppliers.  I responded with a
> defense that some complaints should be handled by "self-help"; that is, if
> you are stuck with a part, try to sell it yourself and absorb the loss.  I
> was then lambasted by several persons on the basis that I was without
> knowledge of the "law of supply and demand".  Basically, these comments
> stated that all Alfa parts suppliers are selling parts solely on the basis
> of profit considerations and not on the basis of Alfa infatuation.  The
> comments indicated that if an Alfa parts supplier was forced out of
> business, such supplier was forced out of business by reason of competition
> and that another supplier would quickly pick up the former supplier's
> customers by reason of feverish demand.
>
> From what I understand, via the Digest, is that in 2005, Alfas will be
> supplied by Cadillac-Saab dealerships.  Based upon the foregoing, does it
> follow that the present Alfa parts suppliers and Alfa dealership will be
> forced out of business by reason of their lack of understanding of the law
> of supply and demand?  Are we to believe that the Cadillac-Saab dealership
> will have such a tremendous amount of Alfa parts, including the parts for
> the older cars, that our present suppliers will be forced out of business
> by such competition?  Is it possible that the "new arrangement" has to do
> with "high corporate finance" and nothing to do with law of supply and
> demand, except who can sell Alfas?  Isn't the real problem that the present
> Alfa dealers may not be entitled to sell Alfas or have access to Alfa parts
> from the Alfa warehouse?
>
> I now note that Ereminas Imports, long an Alfa parts supplier, has closed
> its doors.  Who, then, is rushing to take its place?   Julius Mann has
> moved from Alfa Ricambi to Alfa Parts.  What does this move portend?  One
> or more of our Alfa dealers may no longer be such a dealer.  Is this change
> by reason of competition from Cadillac-Saab?  (Get real!)
>
> If you compare the number of Porsche parts for sale on eBay against the
> amount of Alfa parts for sale, you will find that Alfa parts, in number,
> are but a spit in a bucket.  Porsche has not had its sales interrupted by
> corporate mergers as has been the multiple case with Alfa.  Yes, in the
> later part of 2005, you can rush out and by a new and expensive Alfa.
> However, such Alfa may not necessarily be the same type Alfa that all of us
> have present familiarity.  Note that new Alfas have not been sold in the
> U.S. for a long time and will not be sold in the U.S. for a long time.  Is
> it the law of supply and demand that keeps Porsche in the U.S. market place
> and Alfa out of it, or is it by reason of unfortunate corporate maneuvers
> designed, originally, to eliminate Alfa by reason of Fiat jealousy?

> [...]

Thanks for a very well-put and valid series of points. They ring true for
those of us trying to source parts for more unusual machines such as older
Lancias. With time you become used to relying one or two US sources and
several European, but clearly the it's best to avoid this situation if
possible -- please support all Alfa parts suppliers whenever possible. Even
those that are difficult or troublesome are far easier than the alternative,
ordering from overseas, considering the various barriers -- linguistic,
cultural, geographic and political.
Cheers,
Paul Mitchell