finished clutch replacement -- normal?

I just finished replacing the clutch in my 87 Spider. question: is it normal
for it to make a little bit of noise at first? Its a kind of whirring,
almost scraping noise. only seems to want to do it in reverse, and first. i
assume the smell is normal (that's what i was told, besides, there're enough
cleaners/grease solvents on the bottom of the car that are burning off.

thanks to all those who offered tips and advice! very much appreciated.
replacement went well, without too many injuries!

cheers!
kyle