Re: My motormount experience

Hey Scott,
	What about your right side (passenger) motor mount? Is it sagging too?
If it is, then you've lifted the left side of the engine and not the right.
This will cause the shift tower to move to the right (passenger) side.  (And,
not there is no way you could have damaged anything in the transmission during
your work.)  The stick and rubber boots will now bind with the the tunnel and
console in 5th and Reverse.  Place a block of wood under the right side of the
engine and gently jack it up to relieve pressure on the right motor mount.  If
you can get the car into 5th and reverse, you've discovered your problem.  But
the passenger motor mount is a bear to replace.  No doubt about it!

Good Luck,
Charlie

>From: "scott marsh" <ke4bbu@domain.elided>
>To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
>Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 20:50:46 +0800
>Subject: My motormount experience
>
>Well all this recent talk of motor mounts inspired me to intall one last night
on the left side of my 88 Quad. I had purchased them some time ago but never got
around to it even though at least the one on the left was shot.
>Installation was slick and only took about an hour including time it took to
clean off some lower parts of my engine while I had the chance. However when I
tried to put the car in reverse it will not go. I can barely get it in 5th gear
now and when driving it pops out. It feels like it's catching on something. I
never had any problems with the trany.

>I was wondering if anybody has ideas as to what I tore up. I did have to jack
the side of the engine a good bit to get the new bigger mount in. Did I bend
some shift linkage? How will I have to go about straighting this mess out? I
looked at my shop manual last night but per usual it was no help here.