Re: alfa-digest V8 #116

Hi Louis:

I'll answer the simple question first.  The o-ring used to adjust the idle
is only on the Spica-injected Spiders, GTVs, Berlinas and Alfettas, i.e.
those cars imported to the US from 1969 through 1981.  Can't help too much
with the problems on your '91, but maybe just a full tune-up would do a lot
of good.  I'm talking about all the ignition parts; plugs, wires, cap and
rotor.  Then include the air and fuel filters.  With the symptoms you
describe, it could very well be a bad fuel filter.

Springs and other suspension pieces can be a subject that no one agrees
on.  I use Bilstein shocks and Ereminas sport springs.  It lowered the car
about 1.5 inches and it's pretty stiff, maybe too stiff for some.  My wife
doesn't like riding in it at all, but things feel different when you're
just a passenger.  Most of the springs are very similar in ride height and
stiffness, whether they are from Centerline, Ereminas or IAP, and all are
very nice for the street.  Bilsteins are about the stiffest shocks, and the
Konis might be better for you, since they are fully adjustable.  Unless
you're doing any racing, leave the sway bars alone.

Regards,

Dean