More Belts or chains

Digesti,

Here's another voice: In addition to the reasons already named justifying
chains over belts for camshaft drive, consider the massive additional cost
of ownership manufacturer's have transferred to car owners in return for
their cost reduction from belt use. Every car with a belt driven camshaft
has some schedule of replacement cost that would not exist if the drive were
by chain. Even Ferrari  uses belts, and I hate to guess the cost of
replacement (I have heard this requires engine removal)

I applaud the manufacturers that change back to chain drive. In the U.S.
Saturn has "Chain driven camshaft" included in it's advertising.

George Schweikle
Lexington, KY
76 Spider
87 Milano
00 VW Jetta (non-interference 2.0 L gas engine)
95 Safari Trek Motorhome (Chevy 6.5 L Diesel with timing chain)
87 Milano corpse with bent valves