re: what's in a name

Well Bob K, in Reston VA-

I seem to remember, with what little Swiss cheese of a memory I have
left, that the Ti, from both Alfa Romeo and BMW (Yeah, they had one,
also) had to do with Saloon or sedan racing.  That the Touring
International, was a class of car.  The BMW was also a 4-door, as I
remember, when the 1600 was the 2-door.  The 2002 Tii was the injected
version, the one with Kugelfisher mechanical injection that we discussed
a bit earlier.  Maybe I was just glorifying the racing thing, as this
was all going on when my hormones were out of balance, which is to say
before I got my first Italian car  ;)

As if I'm the one to talk about names.  I had a Chebbie GTZ.  It was a
GT version of the Beretta (more GM name infringement, that they DID have
to pay for) but with MUCH more motor than the standard fare.  I think
they used the 'Z' from Zora Arkos Duntov, the godfather of the
Corvette.  The same Z as in Z28, but WAY different from the Z in
Nissan/Datsun 240/260/280/300 Z and ZX.

And speaking of travesties, lets try to forget the Mustang GTA, where A
stood for 390 ci of monster motor, with an Automatic trans, no doubt.

Jay Negrin
76 Alfetta GT
97 VW GTi (and I believe that VW did not capitalize the 'i' in earlier
models - maybe wrong)